Thursday, May 5, 2011

safety really does come first


We always hear the stories about people going missing or someone was kidnapped from their home, but we never really think twice about it or do things to help prevent it. I would also put myself in this category, until a few weeks ago. Holly Bobo, age 20 from Parsons, TN, was kidnapped from her home around 7:30 a.m. Parsons, TN is only about two hours away from Oxford, MS.

Because this is so recent, and Holly is around the age of college students, it hit people a little harder and made them more aware of their surroundings. Danielle Giulio, a student at the University of Mississippi age 20 says, “I am always aware of my surroundings, more at night than in the day or early morning. Hearing that a girl my age was taken from her own house in the early morning makes me realize how easily that could happen to me or someone close to me. I think that college students, especially girls, need to be more aware of their surroundings and know what to do if they were ever caught in a situation such as this one.”

Many college girls, and guys, think they are safe just because they live on campus, in a small college town, or know all their surrounding neighbors. Wrong. They may know everything and everyone around them, but that is not preventing them from a predator coming around and kidnapping them. This whole story may seem a little far-fetched, but its knowledge everyone needs to know.

In saying that, more college students should know self-defense. The University should offer or make self-defense classes mandatory. Dave Anderson, a father of a student at the University of Mississippi, says, “I want my daughter to be safe at all times of the day. I know at times she is not gong to feel safe, so in saying that I would want her to be able to defend herself whenever needed. In my opinion, self defense classes would be a great idea, and I think all of the parents would be pleased with that idea.”

Not only would self-defense classes help in college, but the knowledge will stay with someone for the rest of their life. This is a serious matter and could easily happen to any one. Being alert and aware of ones surroundings constantly is a key factor to staying safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment